Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Speak English Like An American

The other day, one net pal shared a book Speak English Like An American (PDF) with me. Meantime, she sent me the audio files. I do appreciate it. I have to say it is really a good book.

  • Over 300 of today's most common American English idioms & phrases
  • Several usage examples of each idiom
  • Dozens of exercises to reinforce the material - complete with answer key so you can correct yourself
  • Crossword puzzles to practice your new expressions
  • 25 lively dialogues - the entertaining story of an American family, complete with illustrations

There is a comment catching my eyes:

This book doesn't cost an arm and a leg, so, for heaven's
sake, foot the bill, hit the books and have a blast. It's all the rage.
---The Norwalk Hour

Is this comment a good one? Six idioms in one sentence. COOL

3 comments:

The Other M said...

If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 8. Nobody has said "all the rage" since the 60's probably. The rest of them are still used. Something more contemporary would be "it's off the hook" maybe.

my blog

Unknown said...

o,haha,thanks
When reading the book, I always think of this question: Are these idioms popular now? Are they used all the way up to now? hehe after all, language is fresh. ^-^ I have been trying use them in writing, in real life. But as you know, it is not that easy for me. hehe. A long way to go...

永不负你 said...

Not just try.
I'm risking my life for my lover who has devoted her temper,prime and pride to loving me.
Now,I can't let you lose your parents(also mine)for me,a brute.
At any time,if you ask me to die,and I will die right now.
You can marry to one for your parents,and I'll back you up all the way ,but I'll never marry anyone at any time.
If my decision bring you pressure,
I can only say sorry,again.
My lover,my laopo,my heart,my blood
my bone in bone,flesh in flesh.